Open Contracting Consultant
The Sunlight Foundation is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that uses civic technologies, open data, policy analysis, and journalism to make our government and politics more accountable and transparent to all. Sunlight’s Open Cities team is dedicated to making government data and information accessible for community use at the local level.
The Open Cities team is searching for a consultant to assist with providing technical assistance on open contracting to cities throughout the US. This role would include helping to ensure that citizens have access to procurement data, and building opportunities for residents to influence how government dollars are spent. Day-to-day, this work involves conducting regular technical assistance calls with city governments and developing actionable recommendations to implement governance and data standards for open government.
We are a diverse team, passionate about empowering communities and centering them in Sunlight’s work advocating for open government at all levels. If you’re passionate about taking a hands-on approach to build better governments that work for communities, we want to hear from you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting ongoing city pilot projects to produce open contracting data
- Leveraging and applying Sunlight’s strategies for community-centered open data
- Conducting interviews and outreach with local city vendors, residents, and advocates
- Contributing to project management, including acting as a point of contact for city support
- Providing written recommendations on transparency and municipal procurement reform
- Minimum 3 years experience working in open government or open contracting
- Direct experience working within or alongside local or municipal government
- Basic understanding of data standards, including the Open Contracting Data Standard
- Clear writing and communication skills and ability to synthesize policy recommendations
- Desire to create communities’ equitable access to information and decision-making
- Demonstrated expertise in government procurement
- Experience conducting qualitative research, e.g. focus groups, interviews
- Strong communication and public speaking experience
If this sounds like you, please email email@example.com with your CV, hourly rate, and a statement of interest.
Principals only. No phone calls, please.
The Sunlight Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status. Sunlight is a nonpartisan organization.