- We the lobbyists: Trade groups and watchdog organizations are using the White House's "We The People" online petition system as part of their lobbying arsenal to try and force the administration to take positions on their issues. (The Hill)
- Today in "stating the obvious": Former lawmakers command big salaries from lobbying firms because they enjoy special access and a high level of professional courtesy from their former colleagues on the Hill. (Politico)
- Intelligence outside: Suss Consulting nabbed a former staffer from the intelligence community CIO's office. Roger Caslow, former chief for risk management and information security programs, will serve the federal consultancy as an executive consultant. (Federal Computer Week)
- CIO to energize DHS: the Department of Energy is losing its CIO, Mike Locatis, to the Department of Homeland Security where he will serve as assistant secretary for cybersecurity and communications. (Federal Computer Week)
- Ethics on top: the number of federal whistleblowers has spike recently, but the a culture of ethical behavior needs to be nurtured by top government leaders for progress to continue. (Federal Computer Week)
- Chat for America: Code for America is launching CFA Salon, a casual monthly speaker series that will highlight leaders in government and technology. (Code for America)
- CTO talks Chicago: Chicago CTO John Tolva sat down with Luke Fretwell to talk about the city's open data initiatives and work with Code for America. (Gov Fresh)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED
- H.R. 4369. The Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency (FACT) Act of 2012. To Amend title 11 of the United States Code to require the public disclosure by trusts established under section 524(g) of such title, of quarterly reports that contain detailed information regarding the receipt and disposition of claims for injuries based on exposure to asbestos, and the filing of such reports with the Executive Office for United States Trustees. Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
- S. 2292. A bill to promote accountability, transparency, efficiency, and timeliness at the Food and Drug Administration for America's Patients. Referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor , and Pensions.
HAPPENING TODAY 4/20
- Media Transparency: Political Ads and the Future of Public Interest Obligations. New America Foundation. 12:15 - 1:45 pm. 1899 L Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
- OH/DC: Open Source Hardware Comes to the Nation's Capital. Public Knowledge. 1:00-5:00 pm. 2168 Rayburn House Office Building.
SCHEDULED THIS WEEKEND