As Assignment Editor, the fellow will report to Sunlight’s Deputy Director and work with the project’s Data Editor to direct the project’s editorial coverage and participate in collaborative ventures with newsrooms around the country. Demonstrable experience identifying and developing high-impact investigative journalism is required, as is experience with investigative business reporting. Also preferred: multi-media experience, familiarity with data journalism, and knowledge of the federal government’s processes and structures.
- Stay current with news and legal developments involving the Trump Administration, particularly related to the president’s personal and familial conflicts of interest.
- Work with the Data Editor to both develop and mine Sunlight’s existing database of presidential conflict of interest concerns.
- Develop a roster of freelance contributors, vet pitches for investigative coverage, and assign and develop high-impact stories.
- Communicate and coordinate with the project team via collaborative software such as Google Suite and Slack.
- Communicate and coordinate with editorial counterparts in other newsrooms for collaborative features.
- Promote the project and its published materials via social media, and potentially through interviews and/or public speaking.
- Contribute to discussions and a vision for the project’s online presentation and user/audience interface.
This is a grant-funded position with support from the Lodestar Foundation. The contractual term is through the end of February 2018, with the potential for an extended or second round fellowship. Expected time commitment is approximately 20 hours per week. Residence in the Washington, D.C., area is desirable but not necessary.
Please submit a letter of interest, resumé, three clips and three reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Assignment Editor in the subject line.
Why Work at Sunlight?
The Sunlight Foundation is a nonpartisan nonprofit that advocates for open government globally and uses technology to make government more accountable to all.
We are passionate about open government and excited to make a difference. Feel the same way? Join us!
The Sunlight Foundation offers competitive salary and benefits with Metro-adjacent offices next to the White House.
Full-time benefits include:
- Paid medical, prescription and dental coverage; disability and life insurance
- Retirement plan with matching funds
- Generous paid vacation, holiday, sick leave and family and medical leave benefits
- Metro benefits and Flexible Spending Account
- Working in a fun and dedicated environment
The Sunlight Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.