Sunlight Labs is looking for talented people to fill two open job positions: Graphic/Web Designer and Data Visualizer. Check out our job descriptions below and apply or spread the word.
The Sunlight Foundation is looking for a graphic/web designer to work with the Sunlight Labs team. You read that right: you could be at the core of some of the great work Sunlight puts out every day, doing great design alongside awesome developers in a fun and rewarding work environment.
Work would include getting your hands dirty with every part of the web design process: from wireframes, to moodboards, to fixing annoying bugs in IE, to the finishing touches that really make for a great design.
The person we’re looking for:
- has design experience. Not a ton, but a design-related degree and print experience is a plus.
- has a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS, and won’t freak out when seeing “code” on the screen.
- worries about the details of a project as much as the overall design.
- is able to communicate design decisions to both designers and non-designers.
- enjoys constant learning and growth alongside other smart folks.
- has the ability to work both independently as well as collaboratively.
- is excited and passionate about their work and wants it to be as great as possible.
- Work from Sunlight’s office in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC
- Full-time, salaried position
- Sunlight-paid medical/dental coverage
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan
- Generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave
Submit your online portfolio or links to some of your best projects, and your resume to designer_jobs(at)sunlightfoundation.com
The Sunlight Foundation is seeking a data visualizer to help explain and showcase the data about the US Federal Government and State and Local governments too. This data could include campaign contributions for the past 30 years in the federal government and all 50 states, information about lobbyist contacts with members of congress, and information about legislation and process in government.
- You’re passionate about taking complex information and concepts, distilling them to their essence and making them visually sing.
- You have a strong technical side as well as a design side. You know that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics, and know how to properly use analytic tools to get to the truth.
- You are passionate about the open government and transparency space, and believe that your data visualizations can make a difference. You’re familiar enough with the issues in the space that you’ll contribute your own ideas and thoughts to the process.
- You have a minimum of two (2) years of information visualization experience with a background in both understanding math, but also in making things pleasing to the eye.
- Experience and interest in coaching other team members is a plus.
The Sunlight Foundation is a non-profit, non partisan Washington, DC based organization focused on digitization of government data and making tools and websites to make it easily accessible. There’s about 30 of us working in Dupont Circle to open up our government so that people can see what’s going on. We’re an energetic, fun place to work.
We’re not just your run-of-the-mill non-profit, either. Check out some of the tools that we build, like congrelate.com, transparencycorps.org, or sunlightlabs.com, and you’ll see that we build significant, well designed tools to help people open their government.
- Only applicants who submit a portfolio will be considered. We prefer receiving a link to your portfolio, but you can also send it via zip file with your application.
- All interested candidates will be required to submit a sample design assignment as part of the consideration process.
- Principals only, please — we prefer not to work with headhunters or placement agencies.
Please email portfolio and resume to visualization_jobs(at)sunlightfoundation.com