I just finished putting together an earmark transparency timeline that traces disclosure developments over the last 4 years. Of particular interest is the forward momentum from obscure forms of disclosure to the more concrete. In order of occurrence:
- publishing a list of granted earmarks requests along with the appropriations bill to which they’re tied, to
- requirements to post earmarks requests on members websites, to
- bans on considering certain earmarks unless they’ve been fully vetted, to
- a presidential call for and multiple instances of legislation introduced to place all earmarks request online in a searchable database, to
- markup of legislation implementing full earmark transparency.
The timeline is available here.