Policy Fellow Matt Rumsey wrote this post.
Here is Wednesday’s look at transparency-related news items, congressional committee hearings, transparency-related bills introduced in Congress, and transparency-related events.
- POGO has filed FOIA and Mandatory Declassification Review requests for the secret memo that the US government issued to justify killing radical cleric, and US citizen, Anwar al-Awlaki. (POGO)
- HHS is planning to follow in NOAA’s footsteps as it attempts to lower health care costs. They plan to release massive amounts of health care data in an attempt to spur private sector innovation. (Nextgov)
- The House of Representatives has released a tablet-ready website for watching live, streaming video of floor proceedings. The site combines video from the floor with links to bill text and information on votes. Try it for yourself at houselive.gov (techPresident)
- OPM has spent the past 18 months overhauling USAjobs.gov, the Federal government’s largest job application resource. The new version is expected to be fully functional today. (Fierce Government)
- Open Town Hall aims to provide governments with a place to host online comment forums that have the same level of decorum and discourse as public meetings. The platform is currently used by more than 25 agencies and elected officials. (govfresh)
- As the dust settles after the collapse of Solyndra energy companies and stakeholders are rushing to flex their lobbying muscle. More than 40 groups have hired lobbyists to work on energy issues since the beginning of August. (Roll Call)
- A 75 member coalition has come together to push for reform that would give shareholders a larger voice in corporate political spending decision. They have their sights set on reforms at the SEC, as well as federal and state legislation. (Roll Call)
Relevant committee hearings scheduled for 10/12:
- Budget. Hearings to examine improving the congressional budget process. SD-608. Wed. 10/12, 9:30 am. Full committee hearing.
- Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Hearings to examine ten years after 9/11, focusing on a status report on information sharing. SD-342. Wed. 10/12, 10:30 am. Full committee hearing.
Relevant bills introduced:
- Accountability and ESEA: what is best for students? American Action Forum/AEI. 12:00-1:30 pm. 1310 Longworth House Office Building, Committee on House Administration.