Policy Fellow Matt Rumsey wrote this post.
Here is Wednesday’s look at transparency-related news items, congressional committee hearings, transparency-related bills introduced in Congress, and transparency-related events.
- The GPO has released its first mobile application. The app aims to provide the public with quick, easy access to information on members of Congress and is based on the GPO’s guide to House and Senate members. (FDLP News)
- Judicial Watch released emails that show Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan discussing President Obama’s healthcare law when she was Solicitor General. Judicial Watch suggests that Kagan should recuse herself from court decisions relating to the law, but if she did not discuss its constitutionality it might not be necessary. (Washington Post)
- The House Ethics Committee is on the verge of deciding if they will formally investigate allegations that Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill) improperly tried to obtain President Obama’s Senate seat. (The Hill)
- Former Rep. Zach Space (D-Ohio) has joined Vorys Advisors. The consulting firm is led by David Hobson (R), another former member of Congress from Ohio. (Roll Call $)
- Rumors that the Super Committee might target tax deductions has lobbyists preparing for battle. If a plan is sent to Congress major lobbying groups are expected to launch campaigns to save their preferred deductions. (The Hill)
- A new report shows that chairman and ranking members accept large amounts of money from industries under the purview of their committees. (Roll Call $)
- Wayne County, Michigan hopes to have a comprehensive ethics ordinance in place by February. The ordinance aims to set enhanced standards for official conduct and improve disclosure requirements. (Lobby Comply)
- The Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board released a memo concerning electronic filing of campaign reports. Electronic filing will be mandatory in Minnesota for most committees in the 2012 calendar year. (Lobby Comply)
Relevant committee hearings scheduled for 11/16:
- Energy an Commerce. FCC Transparency and Reporting Reforms. 2123 RHOB. 9:00 am. Communications and Technology Subcommittee markup.
- Rules. Congressional Approval of Agency Rulemaking. H-313 Capitol. 2:00 pm. Full Committee Markup.
- Budget. Improving Regulatory Performance. 608 DSOB. 2:30 pm. Full Committee hearing.
- Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Government Contractor Oversight. 342 DSOB. 9:00 am. Full Committee Hearing.
Relevant bills introduced:
- Obama’s Anti-Lobbyist Crusade: Does it Mean More or Less Transparency? American League of Lobbyists. 10:30-11:30 am. Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington DC.
- A Question of Integrity, Politics, Ethics, and the Supreme Court. AU Law. 12:00-1:00 pm. WCL Room 401, 4801 Massachusetts Ave NW Washington, DC 20016.
- There’s More Than Cats On The Internet: How Your Tweet Can Change The World. Social Media Club DC. 6:00-8:00 pm. Burson-Marstellar, 1100 Vermont Ave NW #1100, Washington DC, 20005.