Policy Fellow Matt Rumsey wrote this post.
Here is Tuesday’s take on transparency-related news items, congressional committee hearings, transparency-related bills introduced in Congress, and transparency-related events.
- The GPO revealed the latest version of its Mobile Member Guide, an app that aims to provide quick and easy access to information about lawmakers. (Washington Post)
- The White House is planning to release documents relating to the final days of Osama Bin Laden’s life, but not for several months. (Politico)
- Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-MO) questioned the FCC’s proposal to make broadcasters disclose information about the political ads they run online. She suggested that the FEC, not the FCC, should have jurisdiction. (The Hill)
- A former aide to House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) is joining Facebook as a director of public policy. Facebook is working to build its policy influence in Washington. (The Hill)
- Pakistan announced its intention to implement a more restrictive internet filtering system earlier this year. This week, it appears as though the country has reversed course, at least temporarily. (Herdict Blog)
- President Obama spoke out against Iran’s efforts to limit the information that its citizens can receive from the world at large via radio, television, and the internet, calling it an “electronic curtain”. (Washington Times)
Relevant committee hearings scheduled for 3/20:
- National Archives and Records Administration Budget. 10:00 am. H-309, Capitol. Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government.
- OMB Budget. Appropriations. 2:00 pm. 2359 RHOB. Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government.
- Markup of H.R. 3862, the Sunshine for Regulatory Decrees and Settlements Act of 2012 and other legislation. Judiciary. 10:15 am. 2141 RHOB. Full Committee.
- Office of Special Counsel and Merit Systems Protection Board. Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Tues. 3/19. 2:30 pm. 342 DSOB. Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management, The Federal Workforce, and the District of Columbia.
- President’s Government Reorganization Plan. Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Wed. 3/20. 10:00 am. 342 DSOB. Full Committee.
Relevant bills introduced:
- S. 2195. Congressional and Federal Employee Tax Accountability Act of 2012. A bill to require members and employees of Congress and other Federal employees who file under the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 to disclose delinquent tax liability.