- National Cancer Institute opens up? The NCI is trying to cultivate a community of outside contributors to collaborate with them on open source initiatives. (O’Reilly Radar)
- Governments grapple with digital preservation: The Library of Congress helped fund four multi-state projects to create effective systems for preservation of digital records. A study of the results shows that the most successful programs fostered connections and collaborations between experts and professionals and involved broad circles of stakeholders. (Government Technology)
- Super donors dominate: 17 donors gave at least $1 million to a super PAC in 2011, accounting for half of the total money the groups raked in. (Republic Report)
- Mobile PAC sends clear signal: The progressive super PAC controlled by Credo Mobile added two new Tea Party influenced lawmakers to its list of targets. The PAC has raised $700,000 and is organizing grass-roots campaigns against 10 Republican representatives. (Roll Call $)
- Pirates set course for France: The French arm of the, pro-internet freedom, Pirate Party is finding inspiration in the success of its German counterpart and running candidates in this years Legislative election. Their campaign will be run primarily online. (Global Voices)
- Public clash over UK secrecy: British plans to extend the use of secret court proceedings and expand government powers to track internet use have caused a public backlash. Prime Minister David Cameron has faced criticism from lawmakers, including his deputy Nick Clegg. (Yahoo/AP)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED
- S.2247. Federal Reserve Modernization Act of 2012. to amend the Federal Reserve Act to improve the functioning and transparency of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Open Market Committee, and for other purposes. Referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
- S.2253. Financial Disclosure to Reduce Tax Haven Abuse Act of 2012. to require individuals who file under the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 to disclose any financial accounts that are or have been deposited in a country that is a tax haven. Referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.
- S.2260. Accountability to Choices of Taxpayers in Our Nation’s Budget Priorities. A bill to allow taxpayers the opportunity to specify their choice of Federal budget priorities, and for other purposes. Referred to the Committee on Finance.
HAPPENING TODAY 4/5:
HAPPENING TOMORROW 4/6:
Policy Fellow Matt Rumsey wrote this post.