2Day in #OpenGov 9/6/2012
- Press wants Manning transparency: over 30 news outlets filed an amicus brief with the Court of Appeals of the Armed Forces in support of a request from the Center for Constitutional Rights arguing that the public should be allowed access to motions, briefs, written rulings and the docket in the court-martial of Pvt Bradley Manning, who allegedly provided secret information to Wikileaks. (Politico)
- Blue Dogs cash full, candidate hungry: the Blue Dog Coalition, a PAC dedicated to helping centrist Democrats, has plenty of cash on hand, but not enough viable candidates to spend it on. The Blue Dog caucus has seen its numbers decimated in recent years. (New York Times)
- Rahm on board the money train: Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is going to start using his legendary fundraising prowess to solicit money for the pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA. He left his position as honorary chairman of the Obama campaign to dip his toe in the dark money waters. (Washington Post)
- Corporate disclosure on the morning commute: The Coalition for Accountability in Political Spending is bringing their campaign to urge the SEC to adopt new rules related to corporate disclosure of political spending to the Metro stops of Washington. Billboards and demonstrators will be stationed at two high volume stations. (Roll Call)
- Multinational investigations hindered by data privacy: According to a new study, the biggest challenge facing lawyers and accountants conducting multinational investigations is data privacy. More cases are being investigated under the FCPA and U.K. Bribery Act and obtaining information from various countries can be difficult. (Wall Street Journal)
- Myanmar improving extractives transparency: Myanmar is delaying an oil and gas exploration tender in order to meet transparency standards set by major Western energy companies. Many of these companies are looking to do business in Myanmar for the first time as the country continues to undergo rapid reform. (TrustLaw)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED:
HAPPENING TODAY 9/6:
- Sustainable Communities Through Intelligent Information: Harnessing the Power of Road Data. GovLoop. 2:00 – 3:00 pm. Webcast.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can add our feed to your Google Reader, or view it on our Netvibes page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your reader!