- Three days after its launch, nearly 70 localities have signed up to share their data on the New York State open data platform. (Tech President)
- The Obama administration’s FOIA processing record came under scrutiny at a hearing held by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday. A bipartisan group of Senators expressed frustration with the testimony they heard from administration officials. (Tech President)
- A number of watchdog groups took the opportunity provided by Sunshine week to release reports examining the Administration’s FOIA compliance. The results are decidedly mixed. (Washington Post)
- Over the course of three decades a relatively small group of lawyers, with plenty of financial help from the NRA, has worked to ensure that the second amendment was viewed as a way to guarantee Americans’ right to own guns. Over that time the NRA funded legal seminars and research to further their goals. (Washington Post)
- Planetary Resources, a commercial asteroid-mining company, has locked on to interest on the Hill following multiple close encounters with space objects this year. They hired K&L Gates to work for them in Washington, gaining significant influence firepower in the form of former House Science Committee Chairman Bart Gordon. (The Hill)
- The Government Accountability Office released an Android app this week in order to “further meet the needs of those who access our reports, podcasts, and videos on mobile devices.” (FedScoop)
- Former Representative Howard Berman (D-CA) is joining recently retired Senator John Kyl (R-AZ) at law and lobbying firm Covington & Burling. (Roll Call)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED:
- H.R. 1104. To Amend the Federal Advisory Committee Act to increase the transparency of Federal advisory committees, and for other purposes.
HAPPENING TODAY 3/15:
- Sunshine Week! Events are taking place across the country all week long.
- National Freedom of Information Day. OpenTheGovernment.org. Fri. 3/15. 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. Newseum, Knight Conference Center, 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC.
- NPC luncheon with Thomas Drake, NSA whistleblower. National Press Club. Fri. 3/15. 529 14th Street NW, 13th Floor, Ballroom, Washington, DC 20045.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can add our feed to your Google Reader, or view it on our Netvibes page. You can follow the progress of relevant bills on our Scout page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your reader!