- This week, the Research Data Alliance is launching a major open data initiative and looking to facilitate scientific data sharing between institutions worldwide. (Tech President)
- Former members of Congress trying to walk through the revolving door to K street are facing a relatively weak hiring market this year. With revenues continuing to decline, many lobbying shops can’t afford the high salaries commanded and demanded by former members of Congress… (Roll Call)
- …but some former members have still managed to score high profile gigs. Most recently, former Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT), who lost his senate bid to Sen. John Tester (D-MT) last year, is joining Mercury/Clark & Weinstock as a co-chairman. (The Hill)
- Last year, the Justice Department opened an investigation into allegations that employees working for the Wall Street Journal in China bribed Chinese officials for information. (Wall Street Journal)
- State legislatures often lack the effective rules or oversight necessary to stop legislators from acting or voting in their own interest. One expert noted that state legislators are often not paid well enough to discourage unethical behavior. (Public Integrity)
- A new, internet focused, political party has sprung up in Argentina. The Partido de la Red takes many cues from the Pirate Party that has sprung up around Europe and is starting by aiming for seats in the Buenos Aires legislature. (Global Integrity)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED:
- S.575. Judicial Transparency and Ethics Enhancement Act of 2013.
HAPPENING TODAY 3/19:
- ECPA Part 1- Lawful Access to Stored Content. House Judiciary. 10:00 am. 2141 Rayburn. Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations.
- Oversight Hearing – United States House of Representatives. House Appropriations. 9:30 am. HT-2 Capitol. Legislative Branch Subcommittee.
- Copyright and Disruptive Technologies: A Case Study of the Radio-Music War. George Washington Law. 6:00 -0 8:00 pm. 2000 H Street NW, Burns Building, Room 505 Faculty Conference Center, Washington, DC 20052.
HAPPENING TOMORROW 3/20:
- Full Committee Markup. House Oversight and Government Reform. 10:00 am.
- The Future of Drones in America: Law Enforcement and Privacy Considerations. Senate Judiciary. 10:30 am. 226 Dirksen.
- Patent Reform in the Digital Age. George Washington Law. 11:30 am – 6:30 pm. 2000 H Street NW, Faculty Conference Center, Washington, DC 20052.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can add our feed to your Google Reader, or view it on our Netvibes page. You can follow the progress of relevant bills on our Scout page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your reader