- The House Ethics Committee is launching its first formal investigations of the 113th Congress. It is looking into allegations surrounding Reps. Don Young (R-AK) and Rob Andrews (D-NJ). (Politico)
- Russia is dropping its investigation into the death in custody of a Sergei Magnitsky, a whistleblowing lawyer, prompting outrage and accusations of a cover up. The Kremlin’s human rights council has previously said that he was probably beaten to death in prison. Authorities still plan to move ahead with a trial of the dead activist on charges of tax fraud. (Trust Law)
- Former Rep. Mary Bono Mack, who lost her reelection bid last year, has landed a job at FaegreBD Consulting. She will join the group as a senior vice president and will work on legislative and regulatory advocacy around entertainment, media, and technology. (Roll Call)
- In the process of compiling their “drone census” of public agencies using unmanned aerial vehicles MuckRock and the EFF have found that universities and other public agencies are charging hefty sums for documents related to their research and testing of drones. (US News)
- A new report from the Center for Effective Government finds that agencies provided full and complete information in response to FOIA requests at a record low rate in 2012. (Fierce Government)
- Anti-bribery legislation languishing in Brazil’s legislature could damage its standing could damage its standing with the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, which measures how well countries meet its anti-corruption convention. (Trust Law)
- Opinion: A new Congressional Watchdog Caucus will bolster congressional commitment to oversight. The Caucus has bipartisan support. (Politico)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED:
- H.R. 1233. To amend chapter 22 of title 44, United States Code, popularly known as the Presidential Records Act, to establish procedures for the consideration of claims of constitutionally based privilege against disclosure of Presidential records, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 1104. Federal Advisory Committee Act Amendments of 2013.
HAPPENING TODAY 3/20:
- Full Committee Markup. House Oversight and Government Reform. Wed. 3/20. 10:00 am.
- The Future of Drones in America: Law Enforcement and Privacy Considerations. Senate Judiciary. Wed. 3/20. 10:30 am. 226 Dirksen.
- Patent Reform in the Digital Age. George Washington Law. Wed. 3/20. 11:30 am – 6:30 pm. 2000 H Street NW, Faculty Conference Center, Washington, DC 20052.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can add our feed to your Google Reader, or view it on our Netvibes page. You can follow the progress of relevant bills on our Scout page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your reader!