2Day in #OpenGov 4/11/2013
- The Office of Government Ethics weighed in in favor of the recent NAPA report that recommended indefinite suspension of a STOCK Act requirement that would have put financial disclosure reports from 28,000 Federal employees online. (Washington Post)
- Wal-Mart is lending its might to the National Retail Federation, one of Washington’s bigger retail trade associations. The NRF has invested heavily in its Washington presence recently, spending more than $3.5 million lobbying last year. (The Hill)
- New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli has helped convince several Fortune 500 to tell their shareholders about political contributions that they make with corporate funds. DiNapoli targets companies held in the New York State Retirement fund and has come to agreements with 18 over the past three years. (K Street cafe)
- A former deputy Senate Sergeant at Arms and high level aide to Majority Leader Harry Reid is taking a trip through the revolving door. Martina Bradford, who is no stranger to the influence industry with previous stints at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Feld as well as AT&T, is joining the Bockorny Group as a principal. (The Hill)
- ManaBalss, an effort to get Latvian citizens directly involved in their government, has had some significant successes since it launched in 2010. It is seen as a big step in a country that has seen low levels of political engagement and trust in government. (Tech President)
RELEVANT BILLS INTRODUCED:
HAPPENING TODAY 4/11:
- Markup of a bill to affirm the policy of the United States regarding internet governance. House Energy and Commerce. 2:15 pm. 2123 RHOB. Subcommittee on Communications and Technology.
HAPPENING TOMORROW 4/12:
- Big Data and Big Stories From the FEC. National Press Club. 529 14th Street NW, 13th Floor, Bloomberg Room, Washington, DC 20045.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can add our feed to your Google Reader, or view it on our Netvibes page. You can follow the progress of relevant bills on our Scout page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your reader!