by Justin Lin, policy intern
- The Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), the electronic intelligence-gathering agency of Britain, has been cleared of charges that they illegally accessed content from the American surveillance program Prism. All access to Prism by the GCHQ was accompanied by the necessary warrant from a minister. (New York Times)
- A bipartisan group of Senators led by Richard Durbin (D-IL), Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN) is reaching an agreement to tie student loan interest rates to the market. In addition, all undergradudates would pay the same rate on the loans, regardless of income status. The deal, however, has not been finalized and is still subject to change. (Washington Post)
- Estimates for Justice Samuel Alito have quintupled over the past year to put his net worth around $2.3 to $6.2 million in 2012. This boost has come from his PNC bank accounts and Edward Jones investment accounts, which were previously unreported. (National Journal)
- Anthony Weiner’s renaissance in the mayoral election appears to be less obvious given new poll data. According to a Quinnipac University poll, Chrstine Quinn, the City Council Speaker, is leading by 9 points, and Weiner’s unfavorable rating is at 36%, as compread to his favorable rating, which is at 24%. (Washington Post)
- The debt ceiling has returned! President Barack Obama is meeting with Republican senators in order to begin talks for a deal to raise the debt limit, which will be hit this fall. McCain has called the talks as being in its “embryonic stage.” (Government Executive)
- S. 1313. A bill to promote transparency, accountability, and reform within the United Nations, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2694. To promote strategic sourcing principles within the Federal government.
- Full Committee Markup of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Bill, FY 2014. Thurs 7/18. 11:30 a.m. Committee on Appropriations. Room 2359 Rayburn.
- Subcommittee Hearing: Oversight of Executive Order 13636 and Development of the Cybersecurity Framework. Thurs 7/18/13. 10:00 a.m. 311 Cannon House Office Building Washington, DC 20515.
- IRS Delays/Scrutiny of Tea Party Applications Thurs 7/18. 11:00 a.m. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform2154 RHOB 11 a.m.