- Big fundraising news out of Kentucky. Democratic Challenger Alison Lundergan Grimes outraised Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell during the third quarter. McConnell still has a vast advantage when it comes to cash on hand, but also has a combative primary with a self funded opponent to worry about. (POLITICO)
- The government shutdown has caused the cancellation of many political fundraisers, but it hasn’t plugged the flow of hysterical fundraising emails flooding email inboxes everywhere. Both sides of the aisle are using the shutdown in their digital pitches. (Public Integrity)
- Looking for an introduction to data journalism? The European Journalism Centre has a free class for you! Registration is now open for “Doing Journalism with Data: First steps, skills, and tools.” (Open Knowledge Blog)
- Recent revelations that a major British drug company avoided more than $1 billion in tax payments are leading to calls for greater transparency around company ownership. (Open Knowledge Blog)
State and Local News
- California’s court system operates under its own Rules of Court and some of that document’s public records provisions have been interpreted in ways that have citizens, and even some judges, up in arms. (Voice of San Diego)
- Looking for news about government IT issues at a state level? Look no further than this new weekly roundup, launched by statescoop, fedscoop’s state level equivalent. (fedscoop)
- Chicago launched a “comprehensive” data dictionary, including information on “every data set held by city agencies and departments, how and if it may be accessed, and in which formats” data is available. The city is hailing it as the first of its kind. (govfresh)
- Obama and the Press. New America. Thurs. 10/17. 2:00 – 3:30 pm. New America Foundation, 1899 L Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can view our feed on our Netvibes page and follow the progress of relevant bills on our Scout page. You can also get 2Day in #OpenGov sent directly to your preferred news reader!