- The White House is rolling out agency strategic plans, highlighting how the federal government plans to improve performance over the next few years. (fedscoop)
- A battle might be brewing in advance of Sunshine Week. The Center for Effective Government issued a FOIA report card, giving bad grades to almost all of the agencies they looked at, but other groups are arguing that even the “well performing” agencies should have failed. (E Pluribus Unum, Center for Effective Government)
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has had his phone tapped for the past year, as authorities investigate allegations that he was involved in taking campaign donations from Libya. (BBC News)
- A look at “open-washing,” or the difference between truly opening your data and merely making it more easily available. (Open Knowledge Blog)
State and Local News
- Legislation waiting for the signature of Illinois Governor Pat Quinn would speed up the state’s data release process, housing responsibility for the task in the governors office and mandating that all state agencies come up with data release plans. (Northwest Herald Illinois)
- Jeffrey Thompson, a D.C. business man implicated in massive campaign spending scandals, plead guilty to multiple counts of conspiracy yesterday, implicating current D.C. Mayor Vince Gray at the same time. Gray has denied knowledge of a massive shadow campaign in 2010, but Thompson asserts that Gray was aware. (Washington Post)
Events Today 3/11
- Whistleblower Retaliation at the Hanford Nuclear Site. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Subcommittee on Financial and Contracting Oversight. Tues. 3/11. 10:00 am. SD-628, Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- Open Government and Freedom of Information: Reinvigorating the Freedom of Information Act for the Digital Age. Senate Judiciary Committee. Tues. 3/11. 10:15 am. 226, Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- FY 2015 Budget Requests for the CBO and GAO. Senate Committee on Appropriations, Legislative Branch Subcommittee. Tues. 3/11. 2:30 pm. SD-192, Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- A More Efficient and Effective Government: Improving the regulatory framework. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Subcommittee on the Efficiency and Effectiveness of Federal Programs and the Federal Workforce. Tues. 3/11. 2:30 pm. SD-419, Dirksen Senate Offices Building.
Events Tomorrow 3/12
- Management Matters: Creating a 21st Century Government. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Wed. 3/12. 10:00 am. SD-342, Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- Markup of H.R. 1078, to make participation in the American Community Survey voluntary, and other legislation. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Wed. 3/12. 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.