- The House Committee on Veterans Affairs is calling out the agency it oversees for a perceived “lack of transparency.” The Committee launched a website to highlight incidents where the VA allegedly refused to provide information to journalists or citizens. (FedScoop)
- The House Committee on Oversight and Government Affairs has been looking for information from OMB on federal property holdings, and is starting to get frustrated with the fed’s response time. (Government Executive)
- The Office of Personnel Management responded to a Washington Post article detailing its archaic retirement claims processing system by touting recent progress and explaining its plans to eventually shift to a digital system. (Washington Post)
- The lower house of the Brazilian Congress approved an Internet users bill of rights yesterday. The bill, which still has to be approved by the Senate, would be the first of its kind in the world. (Global Voices)
State and Local News
- A judge in Texas ruled that the largest private prison company in the US is essentially a government body for the purposes of the Texas Public Information Act, meaning that the company has to comply with records requests. (Tech Dirt)
- Judges in Montana will have to disclose details about their personal finances after a Montana Supreme Court decision on Tuesday. The move comes after the state received a failing grade in a Center for Public Integrity report. (Public Integrity)
Events Today 3/26
- Markup of H.R. 4228, the “DHS Acquisition Accountability and Efficiency Act.” House Committee on Homeland Security, Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency. Wed. 3/26. 2:00 pm. 311 Cannon House Office Building.
Events Tomorrow 3/27
- Business meeting to consider S. 1720, “the Patent Transparency and Improvements Act of 2013,” and several nominations. Senate Committee on the Judiciary. Thurs. 3/27. 10:00 am. 226 Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- Urban Informatics: A new science for better cities. NYU Washington DC. Thurs 3/27. 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm. 1307 L Street, NW, Abramson Family Auditorioum, Washington, DC.