Keep reading for today’s look at #OpenGov news, events, and analysis, including Saab drones, cash falling flat for the tech industry, and a local open government hall of fame.
- The tech industry has been spending generously this election season, but the cold hard cash has yet to translate into any significant victories on Silicon Valley’s top policy priorities. (The Hill)
- Alex Howard shares some ideas for refreshing the White House’s open government website. (E Pluribus Unum)
- Saab, perhaps best known in America for its cars, got its start making jet engines and is now getting into drones. The company has registered a new Washington lobbyist to work on drone policy. (The Hill)
- DemTools is a new suite of open-source applications aimed at attacking common challenges like organizing civil society, connecting government with citizens, and more. (NDI)
State and Local News
- The “Chicago School of Data” is a new effort to think about civic data in a cooperative, data-driven way that recognizes that data is a public good and should be utilized by and serve all types of people. (Data-Smart City Solutions)
- John Paff, a well known civic activist in New Jersey, has been named as the 15th inductee into the State Open Government Freedom of Information Hall of Fame. (NFOIC)
Events This Week
- Access to Justice? Does DOJ’s Office of Inspector General Have the Access to Information Needed to Conduct Proper Oversight? House Committee on the Judiciary. Tues. 9/9. 10:00 am. 2141 Rayburn House Office Building.
- Data For Social Justice: The Impact of Data on Underserved Communities. The Center for Data Innovation. Wed. 9/10. 9:00 – 10:30 am. 1101 K Street NW, #610, Washington, DC 20005.
- Automating Compliance: Taking the Pain out of Disclosure Management. Government Executive. Wed. 9/10. 2:00 – 3:00 pm. Webcast.
Do you want to track transparency news? You can follow the progress of relevant bills, court cases, and regulations using Scout. You can also get Today in #OpenGov sent directly to your preferred news reader. If you would like suggest an event, please email email@example.com by 7 am on the Monday prior to the event.