TransparencyCamp is rapidly approaching and we’re crazy excited to see you! Registration is still open, and if you sign up before Sept. 9, you’ll get a free ticket to bring a friend!
If you are coming to TCamp, we’ve put together a handy checklist that has everything you need to know to be a savvy TCamper. Seriously. Everything. There’s a lot of information in here, so feel free to peruse at your leisure. If you need to revisit this information at any time, head to our website: TransparencyCamp.org.
1. When is TCamp and what time should I get there?
- Saturday, Sept. 12
- Registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Conference starts at 8:30 a.m.
And don’t forget about the opening reception the day before! We’ll be gathering at Mapbox from 6-8 p.m. on Sept. 11 to enjoy some drinks and light snacks. Meet us there: 1714 14th Street NW, Rear Unit. (The entrance is off of R Street NW, in the alley behind 14th Street.) Big thanks to Mapbox for throwing this shindig!
2. Where is TransparencyCamp?
Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University 800 Florida Ave NE, Washington, D.C. 20002
The map above includes directions from the nearest Metro stop, NoMa. If you’re driving in, parking is free! Just contact Sunlight’s Operations Director Scott Wells at email@example.com to get a parking permit. There’s also a free shuttle bus operated by Gallaudet University, with pick up/drop off locations at Union Station and the Kellogg Conference Center. See this page for more information.
3. Can you tell me more about the schedule?
- You bet! In the morning, a slate of opengov champions will kick things off with a series of energetic lightning talks, and Traci Hughes of D.C.’s Office of Open Government will close it out with a keynote address. But the rest of the schedule will be set by you!
- Once we get going on Friday, you can submit sessions via your laptop or smartphone at tcamp.us/submit. We will have a few paper forms on hand, so don’t worry if you don’t have an Internet-enabled device.
- To see the session schedule (once live), head to “The Wall” or check out our schedule page.
4. Other activities before and after TCamp:
Friday, Sept. 11
- Mapbox Opening Reception — On the day before the main event, campers will be gathering at MapBox D.C. for the opening reception! From 6-8 p.m., we’ll celebrate the start of TCamp and get to know fellow attendees over some drinks and light snacks. Meet us there: 1714 14th Street NW, Rear Unit. (The entrance is off of R Street NW, in the alley behind 14th Street.) Big thanks to Mapbox for throwing this shindig!
Saturday, Sept. 12
- Sunlight’s Transparency Happy Hours — After a long day of TCamp, unwind with your fellow campers at the second floor lounge of the Kellogg Conference Center, where we’ll provide drinks. Or, if you’re feeling more ambitious, head over to Vendetta for another opengov hang out, located just a short walk away at 1212 H St NE, Washington, D.C. 20002 (check out directions here). Doors open at 5 p.m.!
5. Will there be food?
- Most definitely! Coffee and water will be available, and a boxed lunch will be served on site in the Ballroom. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options will be available.
6. What should I bring?
- You do not need to print your ticket, just remember your name!
- A bottle for water and chargers for your electronics are good ideas.
- Projectors will be available for use in most session rooms, and we’ll have a selection of adaptors on hand. However, if you are planning to use a projector during a presentation, please try to bring your own adaptor; we can’t promise we’ll have the right ones for your computer!
7. Should I tweet/write about TransparencyCamp?
* YES! We encourage conversation on social media, especially on Twitter, where we will be omnipresent.
- We encourage you to take photos and tag them with #TCamp15!
- Follow our TCamp streams on Instagram and Flickr.
We also look forward to reading your blog posts about your experiences!
8. What should I wear?
- Anything that makes you feel comfortable! TCamp is a come-as-you-are environment. Most people dress casually!
9. Still have questions?
- Check out TransparencyCamp.org for everything you need. During TCamp, feel free to talk to anyone wearing a blue “Camp Counselor” T-shirt, hit up the front desk/registration area, or tweet your question to @TCampDC.
We look forward to seeing you next Friday and Saturday — and a special thank you to our sponsors for helping make this event awesome:
- Leader: Google, Microsoft, Omidyar Network
- Sponsor: Data Transparency Coalition, ESRI
- Patron: Cicero: a product of Azavea
- Supporter: Beekeeper Group, Tax Foundation
10. Last thing.
One more week! Let’s do this.