This morning the Sunlight Foundation’s award winning Sunlight Live platform will turn the spotlight on the Committee on Natural Resources‘ hearing on gas prices and U.S. jobs. Sunlight Live mashes up commentary and research from Sunlight’s Reporting team with contextual data and graphics.
The hearing comes as gas prices approach $4 a gallon and amidst increasing pressure for more domestic oil drilling. Meanwhile, there is renewed attention to nuclear energy, thanks to the recent disaster in Japan. The full House Natural Resources will convene for the hearing as witnesses from the U.S. Energy Information Administration, U.S. Geological Survey, CRS, GAO, as well as the University of Texas and Center for Strategic and International Studies present testimony.
Members of the Natural Resources Committee have benefited from contributions from the oil and gas industry. According to Sunlight’s Influence Explorer, Committee Chairman Doc Hastings (R-WA) received $85,671 from the oil and gas industry in 2010, Ranking Member Edward Markey (D-MA) received $29,250 and committee member Rep. Dan Boren (R-OK) tops the list at $210,500.
- Richard G. Newell; Administrator, U.S. Energy Information Administration
- Brenda Pierce; Energy Resources Program Coordinator, U.S. Geological Survey
- Gene Whitney; Manager, Energy Research, Congressional Research Service
- Michelle Michot Foss; Chief Energy Economist, University of Texas
- Guy Caruso; Senior Adviser, Energy and National Security, Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Frank Rusco; Director, Natural Resources and Environment, Government Accountability Office